Unfortunately coletterie.com does not have a tumblr, but this image is so helpful I had to share. So often people ask us what fabric they should use for a certain cosplay, and two things you should always ask yourself are: 1) how much does it need to flow, and 2) how heavy does it need to be. Sheen and texture are obviously important as well, but picking a weight and stiffness is the first thing you should tackle.
When you choose a fabric for your sewing project, ask yourself these questions to decide on an appropriate weight:
- Should my fabric be sheer or opaque?
- Will a light fabric be difficult to sew for this project?
- Will the fabric be sturdy enough to tolerate stress on the seams?
- Will the heaviness of the fabric cause bulky seams?
And to decide on an appropriate amount of drape:
- Will the fabric have enough drape to flow the way I want?
- Will the fabric have enough stiffness to have the structure and crispness I want?